Thursday, January 22, 2009

Performing Arts - Reaction to Ferrara, "Introduction"

Upon reading this Introduction, I completely agree with the idea of analyzing something according to the context of its historical reference.  And I kind of agree with the rest of the ideas put forth.  I do not argue about the extra-musical nature of music, in both listening and performance, however I wonder if it is even something to be analyzed.  Do we all feel music in the same way?  As Ferrara mentions, we experience music on many different levels.  When I listen to Brahms Piano Trio No.1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj26RzWKq38&feature=related) my heart melts.  The melody, the moment when the violin comes in, and the way the voices move together... when I listen it is almost as if I am listening to something deeper.  I feel so empowered in inexplicable ways each time I listen.  Now I wonder... is this something I want to be analyzed?  It is true that I find myself playing lines from the piece on my cello, and trying to learn the chord progressions; yet, when I am really listening to the piece, I'm not thinking about theory or syntax.  Rather, I am thinking about playing and dancing and crying and a million other seemingly unrelated things.  Additionally, when I ask other people to listen, musicians and not, no one reacts in the same exact way.    Perhaps this is because I play this type of music, and they don't, but still, I wonder if this will be the problem in creating a general analysis of musical reference and feelings.  So, when it comes to analysis, as for now, I feel that the formal way of understanding is probably the most efficient way.  However, I am intrigued by the idea of analyzing a piece from other angles, through certainly it will produce more varied and possibly ambiguous results.

1 comment:

  1. SUMMARY:

    - EXCELLENT
    - CONCISE AND WELL-CONSIDERED

    REACTION:

    - YOUR PERSONAL REACTION IS VERY INSIGHTFUL.
    - I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO READING MORE ABOUT YOUR ENGAGEMENT OF THE MATERIAL AS WE PROCEED WITH OUR DISCUSSION.

    GRADE: A

    BY THE WAY, YOU CAN EMBED VIDEOS ON YOUR PAGE, SO THAT THE READER CAN VIEW THEM DIRECTLY.

    ReplyDelete